I made this for Tag's birthday cake when he requested strawberry cake. It is the BEST strawberry shortcake Jim and I have ever had.
1 c. milk, divided
1/4 c. sour cream
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/4 c. dry all-purpose baking mix for biscuits
1 4-serving pkg. vanilla pudding
1 8-oz. tub cool whip, thawed, divided
4 c. sliced strawberries
1/3 c. sugar (I used less)
Preheat oven to 425F. Mix 1/2 c. of the milk, sour cream, and 3 Tbsp. sugar in a large bowl using a whisk. Stir in baking mix until just blended. Spread evenly into greased 9-inch round cake pan*. Bake 12-15 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Meanwhile, blend pudding mix with remaining 1/2 c. milk. Gently stir in 1/2 of cool whip until blended. Mix strawberries and 1/3 c. sugar (or less) in large bowl; set aside. Slice cake horizontally to make 2 layers. Top bottom layer with 1/2 of strawberries. Spread with pudding mixture. Top with top cake layer, cool whip, then strawberries. Yum!
*I've made this twice now, and I actually prefer putting the batter into two 9-inch pans. That way you have two layers that are slightly browned on top, and the cake keeps for a day or two without getting soggy. When I baked one layer and cut it horizontally, juice from the strawberries seeped into the cut surface of the cake and didn't taste as fresh the second day. If you're serving this to a larger group and are certain it will all get eaten, it doesn't matter.

No comments:
Post a Comment