Sorry I don't have a picture for this one. I made these on Easter Sunday with a ham and vegetables. These are the most delicious potatoes I've ever had. They are NOT light, so I will probably only make them once or twice a year on special occasions. While I was preparing them, Jim kept lurking in the kitchen, observing. He was concerned that I wasn't making mashed potatoes instead because he didn't think any potatoes were as good as mashed. He was proven wrong, and definitely gave these an enthusiastic thumbs-up. The recipe easily serves 8-10 people, and I got it from my cookbook "Cover and Bake". Everything in this book is fantastic, so if you like owning cookbooks, get it!
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium onions, minced
4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves (I used some dry)
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick (this is important to the success of the recipe)
2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
2 c. heavy cream
3 bay leaves
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 2/3 cups)
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven (I used a pot) over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to simmer until the potatoes are almost tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of a potato slice with some resistance), about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Pour the potato mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish (or shallow casserole dish of similar size) and press gently into an even layer.
2. Sprinkle the cheddar over the top of the potatoes. Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, 20-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where was this post when I was looking for a potato dish last Sunday? I'm so glad you shared this - I'll try it this Sunday instead!
ReplyDelete